This is my go to soup when I want something cozy and unbelievably delicious. It's easy and even better the next day. Pair it with a whole wheat sourdough and you are done!
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 TBL olive oil
- 1 large clove minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white parts only
- 1 1/4 pounds carrots, peeled, chopped (about 6 large)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smokey paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne or aleppo pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- splash of maple syrup
- handful of cashews
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and leeks, cook about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and cook another 5 minutes. Add the cumin, paprika, cayenne and chicken broth. Let simmer, covered, until the carrots are very tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender with orange juice, maple syrup and chashews until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with crunchy bread
Leave a comment